[mythtv-users] Scheduled Recordings are keyed off of the callsign field

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 16:17:33 UTC 2006

On 28/01/06, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I went and adjust some of the channel names in mythweb so that they
> showed up down the left of mythweb a little different (to save space
> more than anything).  The text I changed was the 'callsign' field in
> the mythweb > Settings > Channels page.
>
> Anyways, I just noticed that all of my schedules had been cancelled
> and immediately realised why, however I don't understand why it is so.
>  I thought each channel would have had a unique ID which is what we
> would key off so this 'callsign' field can be updated however.
>
> I am sure there is a logical reason for why this has heppened, I am
> just hoping someone can explain it to me.  Everything is OK, by going
> and updating them back they have come back.  (Although I had to
> restart the backend for the changes to take effect, which is why I
> didn't pick up the problem sooner).

Without wishing to step on Bruce's toes (he may decide to provide one
of his extremely useful explanations), callsign is used in the
scheduling process in order to determine whether channels with
different chanids are in fact the same station. The value of callsign
is recorded in the record table, so it is likely that by changing the
callsign values without similarly updating it in record will result in
failed rescheduling when the rules search for the old callsign values
which have now changed.

Bruce wrote a very useful explanation on a related topic in this thread:

Nick