[mythtv-users] Can't get glx to load

kteague@speakeasy.net kteague at speakeasy.net
Fri Jan 27 22:18:56 UTC 2006

Good reasearch.  I stand corrected. :-)  I began to research this before my first post, but I didn't know which Sis chip you have.

> But aside from that, I'm not doing XvMC on the onboard video.  The CPU
> is maxed.  Would that be the case if the CPU was waiting for the bus
> to be free?

Hmm, I'm afraid I don't have an answer to that.  The first thing I'd do is use "top" to check CPU load and find out which programs are using the most.  I'd also do a "ps aux" to view all running processes, identify those that are not needed, and prevent them from loading.  Also check loaded modules and remove those that are not necessary.  Lastly, I'd custom compile my own kernel.

The easiest way to accomplish this is with a base install of a certain distribution.  Lets take Debian, as an example.  Download and burn the NetInstall CD and perform the installation.  Towards the end of the install, you're given a choice as to whether the PC is to be an e-mail server, DNS server, desktop, web server, etc..  Cancle out of that and you have a fairly clean base system with very few unwanted services running in the background.  Build

Most of what I stated here will free up more memory than it would CPU cycles, but those services that are running in the background will use some CPU cycles from time to time.  And, from what I've read from your posts, you're almost there, and you just need to free up a few more CPU cycles to prevent it from being fully taxed.  Stopping some services via their init.d scripts may get you there.

- Ken