[mythtv-users] Peculiar differences in PVR-350 init vs closed-captioning vs LiveTV

f-myth-users@media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Fri Jan 27 20:05:57 UTC 2006

This is not the most useful bug report, because it's based on 0.18.1,
and I know that LiveTV is completely rewritten in soon-to-be-.19, but
just in case it rings any bells or helps anyone:

I just noticed that something about MythTV inits a PVR-350's
closed-captioning decoder differently depending on whether it's
playing recorded stuff, or LiveTV.  Since in both cases stuff is
really coming from disk, I assume that LiveTV does something extra
to init the card that playing a recorded program does not.

Specifically, I have recordings done on 250's under ivtv 0.4.1-r1,
and my 350 in the frontend (different machine) is using ivtv 0.4.0.
If I try to play any of those recordings with a freshly-booted front
end (doesn't matter if it was a simple reboot, or a shutdown with
several minutes of power-off), the closed captions sent to my TV's
CC1 decoder are garbled in a curious way---as if the slicing has
misplaced groups of characters.  For example, I'll see this CC:

    day'ToSchus r prles inesotio mn

instead of this:

    Today's Schuler press in motion

However, if I watch LiveTV---even if I do so during a commercial break
when no CC data is being transmitted---then I can play recordings
after that with no garbling of their CC data, until the next time
I reboot the frontend.  Also, LiveTV's CC data is never garbled.

I'll test this again once .19 comes out, but I'm hoping that whatever
card initialization -was- done for LiveTV (only) in .18.1 is -still-
done (always) in .19, or going to .19 may permanently break CC
decoding for me.  (Unless this is known to be an ivtv-specific
problem fixed in 0.4.2 or one of the later series, but since its
behavior changes depending on whether I've viewed LiveTV, well...)

If someone else can either reproduce this in .18.1, or try to
reproduce it in SVN, that would be interesting data as well.
I've tried this on a variety of recorded channels, and some
of those channels were recorded at the default 4500kbits/sec,
while others were recorded at 3200 or so.  Same behavior.