[mythtv-users] Sports events, LiveTV or Watch Recording?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 27 20:01:28 UTC 2006

On 01/27/2006 02:42 PM, Robert Tsai wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 02:26:05PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 01/27/2006 01:54 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
>>
>>> Setting it to record "NFL Football" any time on any channel
>>> automatically caught all the football games for me, but I did have
>>> to manually resolve conflicts caused by my "record 30 minutes
>>> late" rule overlapping when there were consecutive games on the
>>> same channel. I'd love to be able to say, record 30 minutes late
>>> *unless* it conflicts with another recording on the same channel,
>>> but I haven't found any way to do that yet.
>>>
>> Actually, you did find *the* way to do that--conflict resolution and
>> recording overrides.  :)
>>
> Well, a less manual way to do the same thing is to use the global
> "start early" and "end late" options. The recording schedule records
> at the normal non-early and non-late start and end times, but these
> global pre-roll and post-roll settings are respected only if they
> don't cause a conflict with anything else (this is slightly different
> from the OP's in that any conflict -- same channel or different
> channel -- will cause this global pre-/post-roll to be ignored).
>
> I don't know offhand where the configuration GUI is for these options,
> but it's in there somewhere.
>
> I use a global pre-/post-roll of 5 minutes to deal with the networks'
> purposeful DVR-defeating schedule-skew, without causing "hard"
> conflicts (although I have two tuners, so this rarely happens).

But, the global pre-/post-roll have a max of 10 minutes (600 seconds)*.
Won't work for the OP's desired 30 minutes.

Also, even if the OP decides 10 minutes is fine, that means each "end of
the recording series" will record an extra 10 minutes.  So, assuming all
your recordings are in blocks in primetime, the last show of the evening
(for each capture card) would get an extra 10 minutes.  This "best-case"
scenario, however, is unlikely to happen--more than likely, you'd get
several +10 recordings per day.  An extra 10 minutes on a 30-minute show
increases storage requirements by 33.3% and by 16.7% for 1-hour shows.

I stand by my "should require manual intervention" position.

Mike

*At least if you use the mythfrontend Settings GUI to specify the
values.  I don't know what happens if you change the values directly in
MySQL, but if you do this, it's an unsupported case, so don't expect
help fixing resultant problems.