[mythtv-users] RFC: Allow mythfilldatabase to use a single XML source file for multiple video sources

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 21:53:29 UTC 2006

On 26/01/06, Neil Bird <neil at fnxweb.com> wrote:
> Around about 26/01/06 15:16, Nick typed ...
> >  Herein lies the issue - I can easily get a single XML file containing all
> >  of the listings data I want, but MFDB will add new instances of channels
> >  on sources that do not contain channels matching all XMLTVIDs found in the
> >  source file. ...
>
>    Add how?

If your XML data file contains information related to XMLTVIDs that
are not present in the DB, new channels will be added with these IDs
and the data for these added against those newly added channels. I
would like an option to either override this behaviour, or make it the
standard behaviour and have the channel creation an option.

>    I admit to remaining confused about Myth's nomenclature wrt.
> cards/turners/sources/etc., esp. when you've got cloned cards;  there's a
> decoupling in there I'm not sure of.
>
>    When you talk about 'soruce file', do you mean the ~/.mythtv/xxx.xmltv
> files listing the channels for that source?

I would contend the xxx.xmltv is a config file - by source file I mean
an XML file containing the actual listings data tied to the XMLTVIDs
in the xxx.xmltv config files (the source file is created running the
grabber, and then MFDB imports data from the source file against the
given souceids (video sources). Hope that clears things up a little.

Nick