[mythtv-users] HD3000/FC4 not working

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Thu Jan 26 18:32:11 UTC 2006

>I spent most of last night looking through the list archive and googling
>but still can't make headway with my setup.  If I missed something please
>feel free to tell me to RTFM, as long as you point me to the FM.
>
>I'm setting up 0.18.2 on FC4 using an Nvidia 5200-based card and an
>HD3000 with an OTA antenna.  The system is an Athlon 1700+ with 512MB of
>RAM and the latest FC4 kernel and nvidia drivers.
>
>I followed Jarod's FC how-to and I have myth installed and configured but
>a couple of things are still wrong.  After a reboot I have to manually
>modprobe cx88-dvb then chmod /dev/dvb/adapter0/* so that the mythtv user
>can read the video card.  (The latest HD3000 firmware is being loaded.)
>Once I do that, if I tell myth that the card is a standard v4l it'll pull
>in stations but the quality is far worse than with a TV hooked up to the
>same line.  It won't let me do a channel scan when set as a standard v4l
>card and the audio is often out of sync with the video.
>
>When I set the capture card type as dvb it'll do a channel scan and find
>plenty of channels and they do come in very clearly, but they stutter a
>lot even though the CPU load is only about .75 and there is at least 100MB
>of free RAM.

Looks to me like you hd3000 is working just fine, at least in DVB mode.  Your
problems now are mythtv/video settings and audio card settings. A good
way to test this is capture a video stream and play outside of myth, with
mplayer or something, and you may notice the playback is fine.

And, I feel yor pain.  I have a new Nvidia 5200 card and I get the same stuttering,
only within myth, even with low CPU usage (see my current e-mails since last
night). Nobody has been able to help yet.

I pop my ATI 9600 card in - and everything is perfect.