[mythtv-users] Help Developing MythWeb

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Thu Jan 26 18:22:16 UTC 2006

This is very easy to do with a template based system.  This is the
reason they hired me at Yahoo! was to go through their existing systems
and separate process logic from presentation logic.  We are partnering
with so many ISPs now that everything must be able to be branded,
skinned, and translated in dozens if not hundreds of dialects.  This
also saves you time when cross browser support is hard to achieve.  You
just literally feed that browser the same info on another template.
Have you seen the new Yahoo! Maps?  Theres a basic HTML, AJAX, and Flash
based versions and they all use the same engine for the process logic.
The just swap out the presentation logic.  ( cool API usage example:
http://justin.everett-church.com/index.php/2005/11/08/maps-that-are-consistent-with-your-design/
)

Anyway, my point is that we can make a text, WAP, HTML-w/oJS, AJAX, and
Flash based presentation if we have a good extensible backend.

I say we scope what we want it to DO, not look like.  Make the text
based version powerful enough to do those things.  Then add wrappers to
what drives that new text based version to make an awesome API that
Flash, AJAX, or a Yahoo! Widget can call.  Then the Photoshop fanatics
can make a bunch of good looking HTML-w/oJS skins.

This is the only way to get this DONE.  Set in place a plan the only
requires doing the heavy lifting once.  If you try to meet everyones
needs 3 or 4 different times, it will never get done.

Chris Petersen wrote:
>> or even just to speed up the loading of the current time schedule by
>> this has been talked about before.  I'm not sure how to neatly
>> implement both AJAX and non-AJAX methods without making them separate.
>>

> Since the mouseover stuff is all javascript, anyway, I intend to start
> using ajax for this in .20.
>

>>  More inquisitive than argumentative I'm wondering what browsers are
>> still out there that lack JS and httprequester (obviously cell phones
>> are on the list)?
>>

> elinks only has rudimentary js support, I don't think lynx has it at
> all.  And there are still a lot of people who actually turn it off for
> security reasons (enough to beg me not to require javascript in mythweb).
>
> Thus, two themes...  One full-featured fancy ajax-loaded one, and one
> basic no-frills one so security-paranoid and text-browser users can
> still get in and do things.
>
> -Chris

Thank you for your time,
--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

I may have missed the answer there, in which case, please point out the article to me, but don't say "check forum X."

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.