[mythtv-users] HD3000/FC4 not working

Dawning Sky the.dawning.sky at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 18:22:25 UTC 2006

On 1/26/06, jason <mythtv at jasons.us> wrote:

> I spent most of last night looking through the list archive and googling
> but still can't make headway with my setup.  If I missed something please
> feel free to tell me to RTFM, as long as you point me to the FM.
>
> I'm setting up 0.18.2 on FC4 using an Nvidia 5200-based card and an
> HD3000 with an OTA antenna.  The system is an Athlon 1700+ with 512MB of
> RAM and the latest FC4 kernel and nvidia drivers.
>
> I followed Jarod's FC how-to and I have myth installed and configured but
> a couple of things are still wrong.  After a reboot I have to manually
> modprobe cx88-dvb then chmod /dev/dvb/adapter0/* so that the mythtv user
> can read the video card.  (The latest HD3000 firmware is being loaded.)
> Once I do that, if I tell myth that the card is a standard v4l it'll pull
> in stations but the quality is far worse than with a TV hooked up to the
> same line.  It won't let me do a channel scan when set as a standard v4l
> card and the audio is often out of sync with the video.

get the pchdtv-extra from pchdtv.com.  it modifies modprobe.conf and adds
udev support.

When I set the capture card type as dvb it'll do a channel scan and find
> plenty of channels and they do come in very clearly, but they stutter a
> lot even though the CPU load is only about .75 and there is at least 100MB
> of free RAM. But it doesn't find most of the standard channels that come
> in (albeit fuzzy) in V4L.  Also, the audio that comes through the HD3000
> when in V4L mode isn't there in DVB mode.  No TV audio comes out of the
> sound card, a chaintech 7.1, though Linux is able to use it just fine.
> It's possible that myth is sending the audio to the S/PDIF port but I
> haven't had a chance to check that yet.

dvb is for digital tv, while v4l is for analog tv.  i believe hd-3000 in v4l
mode uses line-in for the audio.  but in dvb mode, the audio should be
embeded in the stream.

and it seems a lot of people are having problem with hd-3000 since the dvb
driver was included in the kernel.  it used to work fine for me when i had
to compile the dvb driver for the 2.6.11 FC3 kernel.

Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated.

> --
> -Jason

DS