[mythtv-users] nvidia, opengl, kernel and more

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Thu Jan 26 15:41:45 UTC 2006

>> Hi
>>
>> Yeah, driver will not compile with 2.6.15, however the patch to make
>> them compile is this one:
>>
>>> I heard there's a problem with 2.6.15 and the nvidia drivers.
>>> There's a
>>> patch somewhere.
>>
>Are you talking about nVidia's 1.0.8178 driver? It compiled cleanly
>for me with 2.6.15, using their supplied installer script.
>
>There were problems with older nVidia drivers not compiling against
>newer kernels IIRC, I think 6169 had a problem with 2.6.14+, even
>though gentoo had them both listed as "stable". I had to use the
>"unstable" package to even get a clean compilation.
>
>The nVidia drivers are one of the few areas where Gentoo's portage
>system seems to screw me up, hence the usage of nVidia's installer.
>
>Just remember that the drivers must be compiled against the actual
>running kernel sources, even a seemingly minor change will require a
>re-compile.

I'm not getting any compile errors or any errors in X or any errors in
Myth. I've tried various version of the kernel and nvidia drivers,
all of which compile and load just fine. I've recompiled myth with the
-opengl USE flag. Playback problems still existed, although they were
slightly different. Still, not watchable. Each time I try a different nvidia
driver, I recompile myth.

Can someone please share their combination of nvidia driver, kernel,
opengl settings, etc. if you have it working?