[mythtv-users] New to mythtv, need help

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 14:02:17 UTC 2006

On 1/25/06, Bill Baker <bill_chris at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 08:02 -0600, David Schmidt wrote:
[snip]
> > 1)  The 350 *can* output sound (use the red/white RCA plugs on the
> > svideo adapter cable that should have come with it--make sure it is
> > plugged into svideo out, not svideo in).
>
> I have it connected to the VID/AUD port on the back of my pvr-350.  Is
> that what you meant?

Hmmm.  Yours seems labelled differently in your documentation than
mine.  I got documentation that looks like here:
http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/manuals/qi-pvrpci-150250350.pdf

Looking at the diagram of the back of the card on that URL, I was
referring to the "A/V Output connector."  In any case, thinking about
it now, as long as you're using the Svideo/triple RCA adapter and
you're getting menus **ON THE TV**, I can't imagine you don't have it
in the right port.

[snip]

> > 3)  Also in this case, only live and recorded TV will have sound
> > MythMusic and most, if not all MythVideos will be silent (and
> > MythGame, if you use that).
>
> Again, not a problem for me, but wouldn't the sound go out through the
> TV anyway?

It will if you do the loopback I mentioned in [4].  The non-TV apps
only talk to a sound card.  They don't know how to talk to the 350's
audio decoder.

[snip]

> Thanks for your reply.  It was very helpful.  Have you experienced the
> black screen when you choose "Watch TV"?  That's the major problem I've
> encountered.  All other problems are merely secondary to that one.

Nope, video worked from day 1.  Had no audio at first, but that was a
problem with it actually being muted in the card.  testioctl fixed it
right up.  [If anyone hits this in the archives looking for the same
problem, search for "pvr 350 audio testioctl"].

If you can get TV audio and/or video in any other way (xawtv, dd
if=/dev/video0 of=/dev/video16, whatever), I'm stumped.

If you can't get video in any way (looking back over your posts I
don't see one), I'd check that you don't accidentally have the antenna
on the FM input instead of the TV one (see the documentation URL
above) and, if it's not that, try to find a windoze box to slap it in
to make sure you don't have a defective card.

HTH!

DS