[mythtv-users] New to mythtv, need help

Bill Baker bill_chris at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 25 22:08:45 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 08:02 -0600, David Schmidt wrote:
> DISCLAIMER:  My 350-based system is not fully working yet, but since
> I'm in the middle of setup, I'm rather familiar with options for
> it.....   (If I'm wrong on any of this, someone please correct me.....
>
> 1)  The 350 *can* output sound (use the red/white RCA plugs on the
> svideo adapter cable that should have come with it--make sure it is
> plugged into svideo out, not svideo in).

I have it connected to the VID/AUD port on the back of my pvr-350.  Is
that what you meant?

> 2)  If you do this, however, you can't control the volume in Myth.
> You'll need to use your TV volume control.

That's fine, since I was planning on doing that, anyway.

> 3)  Also in this case, only live and recorded TV will have sound
> MythMusic and most, if not all MythVideos will be silent (and
> MythGame, if you use that).

Again, not a problem for me, but wouldn't the sound go out through the
TV anyway?

> 4) You can solve 2 & 3 by getting a sound card and looping the
> red/white RCAs into sound card in, then sound card out to your RF
> modulator or VCR.
>
> 5) Using the 350, your machine specs should be passable.  My
> (prototype only) system is
>
> - P3/450 MHz
> - PVR 350 in/out
> - SB Live/Value
> - 384 Meg RAM
> - 20 Gig IDE HD (boot/root/apps/db)
> - 40 Gig IDE HD (video).
>
> Like I said, it's not 100% there yet (the same overscanned menus you
> see, a few usability issues), but except for very long menu
> transitions (1-3 seconds) and startup times (10-12 seconds), it's
> performance is fine.
>
> HTH!

Thanks for your reply.  It was very helpful.  Have you experienced the
black screen when you choose "Watch TV"?  That's the major problem I've
encountered.  All other problems are merely secondary to that one.