[mythtv-users] MythTV and TVHD: problems

Jean-Yves Avenard jean-yves.avenard at hydrix.com
Wed Jan 25 21:16:16 UTC 2006

Hi.

I'm trying to find a way around a problem I have with my linux box
(P4 3.4Ghz, 1GB of RAM, nvidia 6500 in PCI-Express x16)

The quality of HD channels from my DVB-T card is terrible. It has
loss of sync between sound and video, image will freeze for 1s at a
time etc...
Reading various web site,people it seems that the suggestion around
would be to unable XvMC on the nividia.
If I unable this option in Settings -> TV Settings -> Playback,
change from default to XvMD, then trying to watch TV again will
always give me a Core dump

In the console, I see "Error: Could not open XvMC port ...
You may wish to verify that your DISPLAY
environment variable does not use an external network connection
You may also wish to verify that /etc/X11/XvMCConfig contains the
correct
vendor's XvMC library"

Of course I checked those config files and they contain the right
library name

I also set the variable XVMC_DEBUG=2 and I see in the console:
"NV-XVMC (WARN): failed to allocate AGP DMA buffer
NV-XVMC (WARN) allocated buffer DMA buffer instead
NX-XVMC (WARN): failed to allocate subpicture in AGP memory

I've tried various version of nVidia drivers as well as MythTV 0.18.1
and the last SVN version (including 20 minutes ago: revision #8724)

I also tried with the OpenGL vsync option, but it made no difference
Well, first I do not understand why my system isn't able to decode
TVHD in software only, no doubt a 3.4Ghz P4 has enough guts to do
so... While watching SD material, system is 92.5% idle, when watching
HD material (or more accurately, trying to watch it, it's 95.3% idle)

If you have any recommendations on how to get around this, that would
be really appreciated.

Thank you
Jean-Yves
ls