No subject

Fri Jan 20 20:58:57 UTC 2006

nf, ran some EDID queries via DDC, found the timings my monitor supports,=
 and displayed a GUI.  It was that easy.  However, keep in mind that I me=
ntioned your display may not be fully VESA compliant, may comply to some =
older VESA standard, or may only support VESA on a certain input.  Your l=
uck may vary with this solution.

Perhaps one of the first things I'd do is to contact Sharp.  I know you'v=
e done this and they were not much help, but ask them if the monitor will=
 drop sync if it's supplied with a frequency that is OOB.  If it does, th=
en you should feel safe when experimenting with video timings, as it shou=
ldn't open up the small chip with the white smoke.  Dig a little deeper a=
nd see if they can answer if it supports VESA standards, which VESA stand=
ard revision it supports, and if it only supports VESA standards on certa=
in inputs.

Secondly, I'd read the X-video-timings HOWTO until my eyes bleed, brain i=
s swollen, and I feel confident that I can tweak X timings to match what =
my display could handle.

Once you fully understand video timings, you can work with your currently=
 working, yet overscanning, config and tweak it to fit your displays need=
s.  This is the only way to go if you're not getting cooperation from Sha=
rp.  The road will not be easy, but it's definitely achievable.

Good luck!

- Ken