[mythtv-users] Soundblaster Live! PCI 7.1

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 16:20:31 UTC 2006

Dave Bixler wrote:
> One thing about the setup that is curious is, in fact, the tuner
> card.  I'm not at the machine now (at work, atm), but I'm 100% sure
> it's a Conexant chipset.  However, when I run:
>
> [root at bywater ~]# dmesg | grep bttv && dmesg | grep tuner
> bttv: driver version 0.9.16 loaded
> bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture
> bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
> bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:00:0a.0, irq: 12, latency: 32, mmio:
> 0xea004000
> bttv0: detected: Hauppauge WinTV [card=10], PCI subsystem ID is 0070:13eb
> bttv0: using: Hauppauge (bt878) [card=10,autodetected]
> bttv0: gpio: en=00000000, out=00000000 in=00ffffdb [init]
> bttv0: Hauppauge/Voodoo msp34xx: reset line init [5]
> bttv0: using tuner=50
> bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... not found
> bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9875 @ 0xb0... not found
> bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA7432 @ 0x8a... not found
> bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9887 @ 0x86... not found
> bttv0: registered device video0
> bttv0: registered device vbi0
> bttv0: PLL: 28636363 => 35468950 .. ok
> bttv0: PLL can sleep, using XTAL (28636363).
> tveeprom 1-0050: tuner model is TCL 2002N 5H (idx 99, type 50)
> bttv0: using tuner=50
> tuner 1-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (bt878 #0 [sw])
> tuner 1-0061: type set to 50 (TCL 2002N)
>
> it is obviously loading the bttv drivers.  Would this be the cause of
> the probleM?
>
> Thanks again.
> Dave
>
> P.S.   I have not yet tried playing a MPG file.
>
> Dave Bixler wrote:
>> I'm using a Hauppauge WinTV Go with the line out of that card into
>> the SB Live line in.
>>
>> Thanks for the prompt response,
>> Dave
>>
>> PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
>>> The sound card is not used in the capture of the sound.
>>> What capture card do you have?  Have you tried to
>>> play a prerecorded mpg file from the command line
>>> with the same results?  The sound card is only for output.
>>>
>>> Paul

>>> I finally decided to ditch my Diamond Monster Sound card as I could not
>>>
>>> resolve the issues with the audio.  I dropped in a Sound Blaster Live
>>> PCI 7.1 card as a test.  I tried LiveTV and everything sounded great.
>>>
>>> When I watched TV, the sound would start right up and when I exited
>>> LiveTV, the sound would cease.  However, when I attempted to record a
>>> show, there was absolutely no sound :(.  Has anyone else experienced
>>> this problem?  I did notice on the ALSA page that supposedly, capture
>>> of
>>> sound is not supported, but I'm not even sure that MythTV is using
>>> ALSA.  Does anyone have any suggestions or comments about this sound
>>> card?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave

well, if you are absolutely sure that you have a connexant, then yeah
you should be loading the cx88 module... but if you literally get a good
picture AND sound out when you are watching live TV, I highly doubt you
are using the wrong module there.  I would be more wary of checking you
recording profiles.  Sorry these are dumb suggestions - but if you
didn't check maybe it's there.  Perhaps for live TV you have the
recording volume at an acceptable level and for the default recording
profile you have the recording volume turned down way too low?  Another
thing is to try alsamixer and check where capture is set.  Something
like alsamixer -v all
 and look and see that capture is set for line in (press space bar on
line in).  My apologies if you've done such things already.  I know when
I first started up my system, I was happy to hear sound in Live TV but
in fact I was not capturing it, I was listening to line in directly.  I
had other problems like figuring out which volume level controlled the
capture volume, playback volume, etc. on my card.  It is odd that you
hear sound in live tv, if it is in fact the captured sound, but not in a
recording, hence I thought about the recording level in the profiles.
Try muting line in and see if you still have sound in live tv.  again,
apologies if these things are overly simple and you're there already.
Raphael