[mythtv-users] Unusual hard drive activity w/ livetv

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:02:27 UTC 2006

On 24/01/06, Jason Richardson <merkur2k at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> whenever I watch live tv, the hard drive goes
> >> nuts, and continues doing so until live tv is stopped. it plays/pauses
> >> etc and works just fine, but the noise that the drive makes is quite
> >> annoying.

You've probably already done this but ...

Have you looked at your system logfiles?

mythbackend.log, mythfrontend.log and /var/log/messages spring to mind.

Apart from giving a clue to what's going on, writing to the log itself
causes disk activity.  On my system, mythmusic was creating a racket
on the disk, which turned out to be lcdproc writing copious error
messages to /var/log/messages.

Just look for files on /var growing large very quickly.