[mythtv-users] Laptop CPU in Desktop Mainboard

Jo Shields directhex at apebox.org
Wed Jan 25 10:12:57 UTC 2006

Robert Tsai wrote:

>>>A  really minor modificatio can turn a normal Athlon XP into a
>>>mobile athlon too - which enables you to use the athcool stuff
>>>under linux. It's pretty straight forward and there's plenty of
>>>stuff on doing it out there.
>>>

>>What about the 64 family, any mods there? I'm using an Athlon 64
>>3700+ San Diego (socket 939) which has pretty good voltage/speed
>>stepping, although I'd love to be able to drop the lowest step even
>>more. If anyone knows a mod for that I'd love to know! The kernel
>>module seems to read the stepping info direct from the cpu or bios,
>>and I haven't found a way to manipulate this manually, although
>>googling suggests that a further 10% cut in voltage should be
>>possible.
>>

>How slow are you trying to go?
>
>I have an Athlon64 3500+ Winchester. By default, the cpufreq-ondemand
>governor only lets it go from 2.2GHz down to 1.8GHz. I had to tweak it
>manually to drop it down to 1.0GHz (nothing available in between):
>
>	# cpufreq-set --min 1000000 --governor ondemand
>
>[This is software only; no mucking around with voltage on the
>motherboard.]
>
>--Rob

There are desktop boards with Socket 479 on them - the form factor used
by Intel's low-heat low-power high-speed Pentium-M chips - a Dotha-core
Pentium-M is usually a little faster than an Athlon64 running at an
identical clock speed. It also works fine with assorted cpufreq
handlers, and can idle pretty slow as needed, then ramp up automatically
when needed.

My 1.7Ghz Dothan sits at 800MHz most of the time, and the
temperature-controlled CPU fan rarely if ever bothers to spin.

The problem (of course) is that Pentium-M, and compatible motherboards,
are expensive.