[mythtv-users] Mountable IR receiver

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Wed Jan 25 03:48:55 UTC 2006

> >James C. Dastrup wrote:
> >> Is anyone aware of an IR receiver that is designed to be mounted
> >> in an external drive bay? Either a full-size 5.25" bay or a floppy
> >> bay would be fine. I may have to make my own, but I'd rather pay
> >> for a more professional looking solution.
> >>

> >Google on Soundgraph iMon. There are various internal and external
> >versions of an IR receiver/VFD combo. The IR/VFD units are the ones in
> >the Silverstone line of cases and the drivers are available in lirc.
> >

>> Nice stuff, thanks. Of course, it's a little pricey for a simple IR receiver,
>> since I don't really need the remote, much less the VFD. Might as well
>> buy another Silverstone case, which I already with another frontend.
>> Trying to make use of leftover/cheaper stuff for the kids TV.  But I'll
>> definitely keep this in mind.
>>

>I'm not clear on why you want it to fit in an external drive bay

Same reason why I like internal harddrives, internal TV tuners,
internal dvd-drives, etc. The first company to sell a DVR, or any
home theater component, with  an external IR receiver you
have to hang off the side, will be the last DVR that company
ever sells (and I'm not talking about optional IR extenders, which
are a great idea).
I'm not sure why there aren't more internally-mounted
IR receivers. It's nice on the Silverstone and other high-end cases,
but it would also be nice to have a "budget" case or add-on
internal IR receiver.

>  -- but
>if you're just looking for an IR receiver in a nice case check out
>http://www.home-electro.com/ira3.php. They offer an OEM model which
>comes without a shiny black case if you want to mount it in an existing
>enclosure.
>
>They are a little pricey but they work flawlessly with lirc, have their
>own micro-controller to avoid polling by the cpu (minimal as it may be),
>and use standard ethernet cable to transmit the signal (the upside being
>that you can get around the serial cable length issue; I run mine
>through more than 75 feet of cable through multiple walls and floors).

Still, looks like a good product