[mythtv-users] should I just switch to SVN

kteague@speakeasy.net kteague at speakeasy.net
Wed Jan 25 00:26:05 UTC 2006

Putting together a FAQ before the release may incur wasted time, as we don't know what will change between now and then.

> Upgrading check list.
> Standard Myth Suite install. (no extra modules IE Mythstream)
> this should update to 0.19
> # aptget update mythsuite
>
> Q .do you need to do a # aptget upgrade ???
> A . ???????

I think it would be:
   apt-get update ;apt-get upgrade
... that simple. :-)  The command above is 1) missing the hyphen in apt-get and 2) apt-get upgrade doesn't accept any command line parameters, but apt-get install does.

> Non Standard install (IE extra modules or people that have to use tv_grab_au
> scripts like me in Australia)
>
> Q. What is 'Best Practice' for upgrades.
> A. ????

Who knows, at this point?  The changes could include, among other things, modifications to the backend SQL database tables.  There is no way for us to know, for sure, until the final release is here.

> Q. Is there a way to use a program like "Norton Ghost" to backup you current
> working system so if you are stupid like me and FUBAR your system you can
> bring it back before the WAF drops to the point hat she starts to make you
> sit there and program the video (what is one of those?) so she doesn't miss
> here shows !!!
> A . ????

I think you need to upgrade to WIFE v2.1.  It contains less bugs, doesn't nag you nearly as much, and can even do the dishes!  However, doing that will force you to upgrade to SON v1.13, which has been know to cause troubles.

Anyhow, regardless of all of that, recent versions of Ghost do support ext2 and ext3 file systems, but not other (now, mainsteram) Linux file systems.  Nevertheless, I think you can always perform a block-by-block copy of a hard disk, but your image will be the same size as the drive.  dd can do this for you.

> Q. Does the upgrade keep the current recording schedules? IE the wife has
> set Myth to record all of the 'days of our lives' or something. Will all of
> those be kept. if not how do we save them.
> A. ????

Again, we won't know until the final is released, but I think it'd be bad practice to wipe ones season passes during an upgrade, so I'd assume the developers will look for a way to preserve that data.

> I cant think of anything else that somebody might ask but if you can please
> add it. If people make a few responses i will edit the post and put them all
> together. Hopefully if we can get a nice list of answers ppl MIGHT read it
> before they post questions.

I think the best bet here would be to keep up with the beta, update the FAQ frequently, and release it with the final version.  However, keep in mind that  you'll be updating the FAQ quite often.  This can lead to two things: you becomming extremely knowledgable with the new release or you becomming extremely fed up with the changes and new release.

Good luck. :-)

- Ken