[mythtv-users] Laptop CPU in Desktop Mainboard

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Tue Jan 24 20:37:24 UTC 2006

> Tom Dombrosky wrote:
>

>> On 1/24/06, *Steve Adeff* <adeffs at gmail.com <mailto:adeffs at gmail.com>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     On Tuesday 24 January 2006 12:34, Michael Starks wrote:
>>     > I have been thinking of using a laptop CPU to save power on a
>>     new MythTV
>>     > system.  Basically, I'd like to be able to use the cpuspeed
>>     daemon to
>>     > drop the CPU speed when there isn't a lot going in.  Has anyone
>>     done
>>     > with with a full-size mainboard?  Any other tips?
>>
>>     laptop CPU's use different sockets, etc. I believe some of the new
>>     mini boards
>>     (BTX or something?) use laptop cpu's. I also believe desktop cpu's
>>     support
>>     the cpu speed daemons.
>>

>> The Athlon laptop cpus use the same socket.  They will work fine.
>
> A  really minor modificatio can turn a normal Athlon XP into a mobile
> athlon too - which enables you to use the athcool stuff under linux.
> It's pretty straight forward and there's plenty of stuff on doing it out
> there.

What about the 64 family, any mods there?
I'm using an Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego (socket 939) which has pretty good
voltage/speed stepping, although I'd love to be able to drop the lowest
step even more. If anyone knows a mod for that I'd love to know! The
kernel module seems to read the stepping info direct from the cpu or bios,
and I haven't found a way to manipulate this manually, although googling
suggests that a further 10% cut in voltage should be possible.

Marius