[mythtv-users] New to mythtv, need help

Bill Baker bill_chris at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 24 18:14:26 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 02:04 -0500, Thomas Baker wrote:
> Probably the best way to send the audio to the tv speakers is the same
> for connecting your computer to a stereo receiver.  You will need a wire
> that on one end is an analogue jack (i.e. the plug on a pair of
> headphones) and on the other end is two RCA (aka. composite [i think])
> jacks that are usually colored one white and one red.  If you've ever
> hooked up a VCR/DVD player you should know what these look like.  If
> your TV was made in the past 5 years, it should have female RCA
> connectors either on the back or on the front.  Match the colors.

As I mentioned above, I am connecting my PVR-350 to my TV via an RF
converter.  I don't think my TV was made in the last 5 years.

> As for the blank TV display, first make sure your video drivers are
> properly installed (seems like you've done this) then go into
> $mythtv-setup -> capture cards and set up your capture card.  As was
> mentioned before, be aware of the PAL or NTSC.  NTSC for the United
> States and most of North America and PAL for Europe.

I did set up my capture card, so I'm not sure what else to do from
there.  And NTSC is selected, since I am in the U.S.

Now on the "Input connections" setup option, I have several options
listed: Composite 0-4, Tuner 0, and S-Video 0-3.  Does that make any
difference?  I have Composite 0 selected, and Composite 0 is listed as
the default input on my capture card.  I have no idea what these mean,
so I left them at their defaults.