[mythtv-users] Decent starter combined FE/BE barebones system for $99 AR?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 24 18:03:08 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 11:56, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/24/2006 10:13 AM, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > Just thought I'd pass this along, TigerDirect is offering the
> > following barebones special for $189.99 - $90 MIR (good thru
> > 1/31/2006)
> >
> > http://www.roosster.com/rstr/l/1237537/
> >
> > - Premium ATX mid-tower case w/400-watt PS
> > - Biostar M7NCG 400 (nForce 2 IGP/MCP, Socket A, micro-ATX) (TV-out
> > requires optional bracket)
> > - AMD Sempron 3300+
> > - Ultra Socket A/370 Copper Core CPU fan
> >
> > Just add memory, a hard drive & tuner card(s)!
> >
> > (Note this is the :"M7NCG 400", not the "M7NCG".  Difference?
> > Southbridge chipset, MCP (no firewire) vs. MCP-T (with firewire).
> > Also, the "400" has the TV-out header, original M7NCG doesn't.
> >
> > Obviously not an HTPC case, and who knows what kind of crap power
> > supply is in it... oh, and I wouldn't be surprised if the TV-out
> > bracket is nearly impossible to find... but might make a good
> > starter system... anybody have any experience with using this mobo
> > for Myth?
> >
> > DISCLAIMER: I do not work for TigerDirect, and I cannot vouch for
> > the ease/reliability of their rebates.  Buyer beware!
>
> Explain this one to me...  AMD never made a Socket A Sempron 3300+.
> There's a (technically, 3 steppings) Socket 754 Sempron 3300+ with
> 128KB L2 cache (not 256KB as claimed) running at 2GHz and a Socket A
> Sempron 3000+ with 512KB L2 cache running at 2GHz, but no Socket A
> Sempron 3300+ at all.
>
> http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/Default.aspx
>
> So, since it's a kit, I'm assuming it's an assemble-it-yourself deal.
> Which is more likely--that you'll get stuff that fits together or get
> the model numbers they specified--which shouldn't fit together.  I
> really don't care if it's a 3300+ or 3000+, as long as it fits
> together.

Heh.  Even more interesting... the link to the purported Socket A
Sempron 3300+ on the TigerDirect website doesn't work, and you can't
find said CPU anywhere on their site.  Probably they're dumping their
last few in this barebones bundle.

It is possible, even likely, that the Socket A Sempron 3300+ exists, but
is from a special OEM production run not officially listed by AMD and
as such they (AMD) will probably not provide support or a
manufacturer's warranty to retail consumers.  Thus the discount/rebate.
This seems more likely since Directron.com also has this CPU listed at
a discount.  AMD did the same thing with the Athlon XP 2900+ Barton
core, which doesn't officially exist in their product database, but was
OEM-contracted by HP, who then dumped the surplus OEM CPUs to etailers
like TigerDirect.

If that is the case, then the caveats are (1) lack of manufacturer
support/warranty for the chip, and (2) possibility that some (most?)
mobos won't ID the chip correctly.

Also, I'll just point out that the rebate is actually 3 separate
rebates:  $20/mobo, $20/case, $50/cpu.  The case & cpu rebates or the
dreaded "OnRebate" ones, which, as pointed out previously, although
they are advertised as "mail-in rebates", are actually only redeemable
electronically.

"TigerDirect: When we say 'Caveat Emptor', we mean it!"

-JAC