[mythtv-users] MythTV and Asterisk?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 23 22:59:37 UTC 2006

On Jan 23, 2006, at 3:48 PM, Peter Loron wrote:

> John Biundo wrote:
>> Dean Collins wrote:
>>> How do you handle interruptions etc?
>>>
>>> I thought asterisk had to be a standalone solution otherwise voice
>>> quality can vary?
>>>

>> Also heard that Asterisk and X don't get along very well.
>>
>> I'm running both, but on seperate boxen right now.
>
> I've heard some people swear that you must run Astersk without X or
> anything else running in order to avoid problems. Others have reported
> that it works fine. I rarely ever use the console of my myth box.
> Occasionally I'll connect up with VNC. Myth usage is light as would
> Asterisk usage.
>
> Maybe I'll give it a whirl.

Perhaps a bit OT,  but I play around with Linksys NSLU2 boxes, which
are sold as NAS appliances but, since they run Linux, can be made to
run most anything. I use one as a Postfix Mailserver and another as
an Apache web server.

I've heard tell that folks are using them as Asterisk servers, but I
don't know much more than that. Since they retail for $90 you might
be interested. Would sort of make the question of a dedicated box moot.

Check out: