[mythtv-users] Cost of MythTV Machines

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 20:42:36 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:
>> [The following is *not* addressed to Brian specifically; Brian, please
>> don't take it as such. It's also in some ways a repeat of what I wrote
>> in
>> <URL:http://www.mail-archive.com/mythtv-users@mythtv.org/
>> msg53363.html>.]
>>
>> I know this is the cue for half the list to jump in with how they
>> built a great MythTV box out of the parts sitting in the closet, or
>> how they bought a $100 motherboard and a $25 case and a $100 CPU,
>> etc., etc., and built a great MythTV box. Hey, more power to
>> you. Guess what? Most of you aren't even trying to do HDTV, or if you
>> are you're likely the ones trying to play 1080i with a low-end Celeron
>> or two year-old AMD and finding that even XvMC doesn't help much. Let
>> me repeat: My time is worth money. Or, conversely, it can be
>> worthwhile to pay someone else to do the heavy lifting in the whole
>> parts procurement and assembly phase of MythTV. Heaven knows this list
>> is living proof that the software phase is difficult enough!
>>

> I would not have taken the above incorrectly, even without the
> disclaimer, your points are quite valid.
>
> I realize that time is money of course. I just happen to be retired
> from the television broadcast business and have more time to tinker
> than most, and I can't resist playing around with Video.
>
> I do of course miss the days when the 3TB that I see mentioned as
> "huge storage" was the size of the RAM cache for our server, and our
> encoders cost more than the house I now live in :-)

If time is money, you know DirecTV does have HD PVRs too, and they skip
commercials, maybe do other mythlike things too, not sure.  So if you
want to do HD and time IS money, then, well, for one, highly expensive
mythTV set ups may not be the way to go, because mythtv isn't the only
game in town for HD.  Seems like some people think that for some reason.
At any rate, most of the people here who are so happy to scavenge out
boxes and build myth machines have all pretty much disclaimed that HD is
another story altogether.  I think most people are focussing on SD
because they're getting mainly SD through their standard cable services,
etc.  Unfortunately in my area, HD just isn't an issue, unless you go
with some type of satellite dish TV.  They do have digital, but the
price is sort of prohibitive with respect to the amount of TV watched
per month - in my case.  It's not that we don't care about HD or are
patting ourselves on the back for building such cheap and resourceful
systems, it's just that we like building capable things for cheap
period.  That's why people are getting into the problem areas with
trying out 1080i on celerons.  Plain and simple HD is cpu intensive no
two ways about it.  Driver support is great, but get a fast processor in
order to get it up on your screen at the moment, until the drivers
really get there.  So, the only things driving up prices in HD systems
are your top end athlon64s or you 3+GHz P4s and a good HD tuner, which
gets a bit of a premium over an SD hardware setup; no biggie.
There was one email I sent out that showed a mythtv machine that
basically could do the bare minimum and is a complete underclass
compared to a High def setup, but it was to show that a machine at the
quality level of a tivo is already possible for the same price as a
series 2 tivo with the lifetime subscription, just to provide a matter
of perspective on the low end.  Maybe someone can look into the prices
(or monthly fees) of a HD PVR premade system and compare what it would
cost to make an equivalent myth set up for us?  That would probably help.
Raphael