[mythtv-users] streaming to windows (directly through myth)

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Mon Jan 23 20:25:21 UTC 2006

Dave Jones wrote:
> I have no problems opening the .nuv files when I mount the TV
> recording with Samba. (I.E., I installed samba on my mythbackend box,
> then mount the TV directory on my Windows computer, and open the files
> using VLC.) The filenames are pretty cryptic, but if you see what you
> want to watch in mythweb, you can mouse over the link, look at the
> filename, and then open that one in VLC.

You could do what I do, use mythrename.pl (if using SVN) or mythname.sh
(I think) with 0.18 (you may have to hunt around for it) and make pretty
symlinks for everything. I've recently modified mythrename to create sub
directories by title, so with a cron job I get a directory that looks
like this:

root at mythtv:/usr/local/bin# ls -l /myth/tv/shows/
Auto_Racing                     Corner_Gas          Honda_Test_Drive
Just_Ask_Jon_Eakes            Rescue_Me
CSI:_Crime_Scene_Investigation  Drag_Racing         Honda_at_Speed
Law_&_Order:_Criminal_Intent  Rick_Mercer_Report
Canada's_Worst_Driver           Honda_Civic_Launch  How_It's_Made
Monster_Garage                World_Poker_Tour

And in say the Auto_Racing directory I have:
root at mythtv:/usr/local/bin# ls /myth/tv/shows/Auto_Racing/
2005-11-26 SCCA Runoffs- GT Lite.mpg          2006-01-04 British Touring
Car Championship Series.mpg
2005-11-27 SCCA Runoffs- G Production.mpg     2006-01-11 British Touring
Car Championship Series.mpg
2005-12-02 SCCA Runoffs- Sports 2000.mpg      2006-01-18 British Touring
Car Championship Series.mpg
2006-01-01 SCCA Runoffs- Grand Touring 2.mpg  2006-01-18 German Touring
Car Series.mpg

I share /myth/tv/shows via Samba, and then anything that mounts it has a
nice, easy to read list of what's available. I have cron run it at 3 and
33 past the hour, so it's reasonably up to date. You could run it every
5 minutes, if needed, it's not cpu intensive.

Tom