[mythtv-users] Moving my mythTV install to a new distro (Was: Importing recordings after losing entire database and reinstalling)

Peter Judge peter at judge.co.za
Mon Jan 23 18:53:59 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 13:24 +1000, David Whyte wrote:

> I am going from FC2 to Ubuntu (at this stage) but would like to be
> able to keep the recordings on my /myth/recordings mount (which is on
> a seperate HDD).  Can I simply export the mythconverg DB and re-import
> it into my new Ubuntu mythTV when I get it up and running?  Should I
> just export certain tables (I have messed up most of my theme
> formatting too :P).  I imagine it is best to go from FC2 0.18.1 to
> Ubuntu 0.18.1 rather than waiting for 0.19 to come out and import
> metadata across different versions.

I just landed up reinstalling as I had to replace a HDD*. I make regular
backups of my mythconverg DB, and first tried restoring from there, but
something went wonky. I then used a script that I found in the Myth
documentation, which takes certain tables (the recording stuff) from a
backup. I created a new DB, ran mythtv-setup and imported the recording
tables. Everything looks good so far.

Look at http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.7 for more.

> Can anybody give any advice?  I am quietly crapping my pants ;)

The quieter you can keep it, the happier I'll be :)  Actually, let us
know how the FC to Ubuntu conversion went. I chickened out of that; the
GAF was already low after being Myth-less for a few days, and I thought
I'd stick with what I knew worked.

-- Peter

* Not to start a HDD flame war, but you have to love the 5 year
guarantee that Seagate has.