[mythtv-users] Cost of MythTV Machines

chris@cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Mon Jan 23 18:35:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 01:09:28PM +0000, Bean wrote:
> Well I did a build from scratch in July last year and happened to
> still have my online bill as below:
>
> Aria Aluminium Media PC Case @ 56.99 +VAT
> Caviar 200GB 8Mb Cache 7200RPM HDD OEM @ 52.99 +VAT
> WinTV Nova-T PCI Digital Free-to-air TV Card @ 51.46 +VAT
> Sempron 2800 2.0Ghz Socket A 256KB 333Mhz OEM @ 40.95 +VAT
> KM4M-V SocketA Graphics Audio LAN MAXT Motherboard @ 24.55 +VAT
> 128MB Radeon 9200SE DDR TV Out DVI AGP @ 22.72 +VAT
> 512Mb PC2700 184pin DDR DIMM Memory @ 21.50 +VAT
>
> The only thing I reused was a DVD-RW drive, so even allowing for
> that a total brand new cost would have been about ? 375.00 or around
> $ 650 USD.

There is another way to look at the cost, of course.  My MythTV
system cost me exactly $179 (Cdn).  That was $149 for a WinTV card
for the box in the basement, $10 for some ethernet cable, and $20 for
a used XBox for the livingroom to act as a frontend.  The rest of the
system was already there handling my email, acting as a network
fileserver, etc.  All the old hardware was sunk cost -- the money was
spent whether I added MythTV or not, so it doesn't count against the
MythTV setup cost.

carrying the cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)