[mythtv-users] AC3 and/or S/PDIF (again)

Ben Suffolk ben at vanilla.net
Mon Jan 23 18:09:12 UTC 2006

> As a matter of fact, I don't expect to use digital connections for any
> of my audio. I can't live without timestretch, anymore (thanks,
> Mark)--on TV and for DVD's--and decoding and re-encoding an AC-3
> (*lossy* compression algorithm) stream to allow timestretch seems like
> it negates the benefit of a digital audio connection. After all, the
> audio is running over short connections and has to be analog
> between the
> receiver and the speakers, anyway, so proper wiring of analog
> connections will probably give at least as good--if not better--
> quality
> as resampled AC-3.

I'd more than happy to go down the analogue out route with the
mythbox doing the decoding for me, the only problem I have is that I
only have 2 channel output from my soundcard or spdif. The sound card
is built into the motherboad (I checked for additional headers on the
board for audio, but there is only the SPDIF header that I have
connected to already).

Maybe the solution is to buy a decent sound-card with 5.1 analogue
output

Ben