[mythtv-users] Cost of MythTV Machines

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 17:25:16 UTC 2006

> With some recent discussion here about CPUs and costs I wonder what
> the "average" cost of a MythTV machine might be.

That's sort of like asking a bunch of gamers what the "average" cost
is for a gaming PC is. I know gamers who would spend $600 on a
graphics card ...

Here are some questions to consider:

- How much is silence in your living room worth?
- Do you (and other family members) want an "ugly" old computer
showcased in your living room?
- How much did you spend on audio/video gear in the past?
- How much money do you normally spend on your computer hobby?
- How many hours of recordings do you want to keep? (HINT: it's more
than you would ever think when your building your first mythtv box)
- When one of your hard drives fails and you lose your
system/recordings, how much would it be worth to you to be able to go
back in time and set up RAID?

My MythTV box is now at around 600gb and that seems like just about
enough storage for me for now with non-HD recordings, but I can see a
day in the not too distant future where the bulk of my mythtv expense
will be STORAGE, and not computer parts.

I'd be interested to know how much storage the "average" mythtv user
has on their system. I'd also be interested to know the % of mythtv
users who don't use RAID.

-Ross