[mythtv-users] How to boost niceness of both front and backends?

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Mon Jan 23 15:07:44 UTC 2006

HI!

William wrote:
> My myth machine also serves are my mail filter and I have noticed that when
> fetchmail receives mail it causes livetv to pause briefly. Is there a way to
> boost the niceness of both the front and backends? Or to make
> fetchmail/spamassassin/clamav behave better on disk i/o? I am running FC2
> with a pair of drives in lvm mode formatted with xfs.

I am renicing mythfrontend and X for smoother playback:

renice -2 `ps -C mythfrontend -o pid=`
renice -12 `ps -C X -o pid=`

Also, I have niced Apache and my mail system (FC3):

I start fetchmail via /etc/rc.local:
nice fetchmail -f /etc/fetchmailrc --syslog

I start imapd via xinetd, so in /etc/init.d/xinetd:
daemon nice $prog -stayalive -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid "$EXTRAOPTIONS"

Postfix, /etc/init.d/postfix:
nice /usr/sbin/postfix start 2>/dev/null 1>&2 && success || failure

Apache, /etc/init.d/httpd:
LANG=$HTTPD_LANG daemon nice $httpd $OPTIONS

Thomas