[mythtv-users] Playback of recordings suddenly broken

Dag Nygren dag at newtech.fi
Sun Jan 22 22:16:31 UTC 2006

> Hi,
>
> Suddenly the playback of all recordings broke here,
> plays back for 2 secs, then stops for half a second, then
> 2 seconds OK again??
>
> The frontend log is full of the following:
>
> [mpeg2video @ 0xb751c2a4]get_buffer() failed (stride changed)
> 2006-01-22 10:37:28.251 AFD Error: Unknown decoding error
> [mpeg2video @ 0xb751c2a4]get_buffer() failed (stride changed)
> 2006-01-22 10:37:28.252 AFD Error: Unknown decoding error
>
> Hadn't changed anything when it happened (Honest :-) ),
> but since that tried with the newest SVN, which didn't make any
> difference.

Just wanted to report that I found the problem in case someone
searches the list for similar problems:

The culprit was one fairly recent recording, that when I browsed the
recorded list made the mpeg2video stuff go crazy. I have the preview
turned on and as this was one of
the latest shows recorded I always started out passing this one. Anything
watched or browsed after that had the stuttering problem.

This is of course an error recovery bug in the mpeg2video code,
if anyone is interested to look closer at it plase drop me a mail
and I can send you the problematic show, or part of it.

I also tried to play it with xine and mplayer. Mplayer cannot play it while
xine will not even notice any problems.

Dag