[mythtv-users] After "long" livetv pause, then rewind, mythfrontend becomes unstable

John Biundo johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 22 19:42:21 UTC 2006

Simon Lundell wrote:

>> Anybody else seen this, or got any clues?
>>

> I have experienced the same thing. After a long pause the screen went
> black. The program was still in the ringbuffer, and was watchable from
> mplayer. If only I have had backed it up before entering live-tv again...
>
>> I'm fairly new to MythTV, but have decent linux skills and am willing
>> to try to track this problem down if I can get a little guidance on
>> how to best collect data, generate some hypotheses, and test them.
>>

> I am not that familiar with the inner workings of mythtv, so I might not
> be the best person to ask.
> Have you experimented with different ringbuffer sizes?
>
>> Thanks in advance for any help.  This problem has certainly raised
>> some "uncomfortableness" in the household, and has people feeling the
>> need to reach for video tape when something crucial needs to be recorded!
>>

> I also felt a quite negative atmosphere right after the apperence of
> this bug...
>
> //Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.  I've also decided to focus some
attention on the ringbuffer.  Moving it off LVM, maybe even to a
different filesystem (it's on JFS right now).  Maybe resizing it is a
good experiment too.

It sounds like maybe your problem is in the past -- do you still see it?
   If so, do you notice any particular patterns?  If not, any ideas what
finally resolved it?

Thanks,
john