[mythtv-users] XvMC - Nvidia isssues?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jan 22 17:49:58 UTC 2006

On 01/22/2006 12:29 PM, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Dan Seddon wrote:
>> Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>>> Not likely. The TV sets are HD-ready independent of whether MPEG2 or
>>> MPEG4-P10 (H.264) is used, as it is the external STB which does the
>>> decoding. Those sets should have either HDMI or DVI input.
>> I was thinking that they had built in digital recievers, maybe they
>> don't? It would annoy me if I had to buy yet another box having shelled
>> out - the slick minimalism of my flatscreen might feel a bit compromised....
> Some can, most don't. In any case you'll be able to use an external
> STB... Lots cheaper than replacing the flatscreen....

Generally, (at least in the US) a set can be called an "HDTV" if--and
only if--it has an integrated digital tuner/decoder (in the US that
means MPEG-2).  An HD-Ready set simply has the appropriate resolution.
Don't know if manufacturers are using the same guidelines across the
pond, though.  (Wikipedia says there's a standard for HD Ready -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready - and the standard does not
require a tuner/decoder.)

Mike