[mythtv-users] looking for Craig Eaton

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Jan 22 10:13:39 UTC 2006

RMH wrote:

> back in March, Craig sent email with the subject "Conflict resolution
> between HD3000's NTSC and ATSC tuners?" but his email address is now
> bouncing.  here's the archived message:
>
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2005-March/077576.html
>
> he apparently got his HD3000 working in both ATSC and NTSC modes,
> which is something i would like to do as well.  for some reason, how
> to do this is not explained anywhere on the web that i can find.  if i
> could get both modes to work using my one HD3000 card, i think i could
> program a conflict resolution into mythtv.

Buried somewhere on the pcHDTV site, is an explanation of how the card
works. The cx88_dvb driver handles ATSC, the cx8800 driver handles NTSC.
Only one driver at a time can talk to the hardware.
So you *should* be able to "rmmod cx88_dvb, modprobe cx8800" and watch
NTSC content, then "rmmod cx8800, modprobe cx88_dvb" for ATSC.
But that may or may not work. You might have to reboot in  between. And
even if you can do that, there is no  guarantee that myth could handle
it....I suppose that an "external command" such as a channel change
could actually be a module changeover, but you would also have problems
with the database, and the backend would surely choke on not being able
to see one of the cards at startup...

Geoff