[mythtv-users] ATI Interlacing questions

Clyde Stubbs clyde at htsoft.com
Sun Jan 22 01:26:34 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 04:38:00PM -0800, Dan McCarthy wrote:
> interlaced output. What I am having trouble getting my head around is
> that the PAL format requires interlacing already, correct? Therefore
> it would suggest that SDTV received interlaced from DVB should play
> back fine on the 'interlaced PAL' TV out without requiring software
> deinterlacing. Is this a correct assumption?

It's a reasonable assumption, but my experience is that it doesn't
work well. I suggest trying both ways - turn de-interlacing on and
compare the quality of the picture with it off. Also try the
various different de-interlacing techniques.

Good test material would be sports shows, and news shows with
the ticker tape at the bottom.