[mythtv-users] Using DVD VIDEO_TS directories on disk with MythTV?

Urban Nightmare urban at inetdesign.org
Fri Jan 20 19:50:28 UTC 2006

Todd Ignasiak wrote:

> On 1/19/06, *Steve Hodge* <stevehodge at gmail.com
> <mailto:stevehodge at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 1/20/06, Todd Ignasiak <ignasiak at gmail.com
>     <mailto:ignasiak at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > The file layout is something like:
>     >
>     >      /XMas_2002/VIDEO_TS/{*.IFO, *.VOB}
>     >      /Wedding/VIDEO_TS/{*.IFO, *.VOB}
>     >
>     > Where the top directory is the name of the DVD, the second is always
>     > VIDEO_TS, and the DVD data files are below that.  Ideally, I
>     would like to
>     > treat the top dir as the title, and associate a JPEG image with
>     that, and
>     > have a view launched that treats VIDEO_TS as a DVD.
>
>     You could try having a single directory somewhere with links to the
>     vob files in each subdirectory. You could write a shell script to
>     create the links automatically from the top directory names.
>

> Thanks for the response.
>
>  The VOBs all use the same filenames, so there would be conflicts.
> But, I guess the links could use different names.  But, then it would
> break the relationship between the IFO file and the VOB data.  So, DVD
> menus and language support would be broken.
>
> If I go this route, I think I would change my DVD's to single file
> videos, either one huge VOB, MPEG2 file, or H.264 file.    The
> downside there is that I lose DVD Menus, chapters, etc.
It sounds like your trying to do what I wanted.  What I ended up doing
was making an ISO of the files so that they would be ready to burn to a
DVD and play in any old player.  But instead I just copied the ISO to my
video dir and in myth I setup how to play the ISO's using xine
(Utilities&setup/Setup/Media Settings/Video Settings/File Types).  In
File types I added a new extension of iso with a command of "xine -pfhq
--no-splash dvd:/%s/" (no quotes).

Once all of that was done I could play the iso just like it was a dvd.

Hope that helps.

Stephen