[mythtv-users] Miserable time installing Mythtv

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 19:30:01 UTC 2006

> > $ rpm -q --qf='%{name}.%{arch}\n' \*myth\*
> > package *myth* is not installed
>
> Aw, crap, missed an option there. Should have been:
>
> rpm -qa --qf='%{name}.%{arch}\n' \*myth\*

That worked a little better,

# rpm -qa --qf='%{name}.%{arch}\n' \*myth\*
libmyth.i386
mythtv-theme-MediaCenter.noarch
mythnews.i386
mythtv-backend.i386
mythweb.noarch
mythtv.i386
mythtv-theme-MediaCenterOSD.noarch
mythweather.i386
mythtv-themes.i386
mythtv-setup.i386
mythphone.i386
mythtv-frontend.i386

So, I gather I just installed i386 stuff...

> > so, uh, I think I installed i686 versions. I was just hoping yum
> > install myth-suite would just pull in everything to get a 'complete'
> > mythtv package... Oh well. It'll probably stay just the way it is for
> > the rest of eternity, or until there's a compelling new version of
> > MythTV.
>
> You *might* be okay with just a yum install mythtv-suite...

I might try it this weekend... if nothing important is scheduled to record. :)

> > Even though I consider myself a competent user, been using SCO
> > (*work related, snicker-boo-hiss if you will*) for years
>
> I've had the displeasure of dealing with OSR5 for work-related
> reasons too. :)

My sympathy. The good news is SCO is on the fast track to death.

> > and Linux
> > for years longer. The fact is, if I blow up our now working mythbox,
> > in any way shape or form, my girlfriend will have my head.
>
> Heh.

Really, I think it's just all the reruns of Sex in the City, Dawsons
Creek, X-Files, etc. that if she missed a single one... well... you
know the rest. =) When I finally took the time to get my mythbox
working again, she was so excited you would have thought I brought a
cute puppy home. It's only been about a month, and the hard drive is
full. DOH.

-Kenneth