[mythtv-users] Switched from ATI to Nvidia. AGPGART problem

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Jan 20 01:40:01 UTC 2006

On Thursday 19 January 2006 11:22, Steve Adeff wrote:
> On Thursday 19 January 2006 14:08, Adam Propeck wrote:

> > > Nope, that sounds correct. If the "1" isn't being respected, its likely
> > > because AGPGART is built into the kernel (rather than as a module), and
> > > thus
> > > you can't replace it w/NvAGP. Red Hat/Fedora builds AGPGART into their
> > > kernels. I've not found any compelling reason to use NvAGP over AGPGART
> > > though.
> >
> > Ouch. so my thinking that the little skips and pauses when I first start
> > playback of an HD recording, or when I resume play from a paused playback
> > of HD are related to the AGPGART are probably vain hope. I didn't know
> > what could be causing the slowdowns and the couple of seconds to get the
> > playback going smoothly. It's not a terrible price to pay, but it is kind
> > of annoying. I had switched to that 6200 Nvidia card, and hoped that the
> > 3100 Sempron would be more than enough to smoothly play this content. I
> > am following your guide almost to the letter Jarod. I don't think I
> > missed any steps anyhow. I'm also setup suid on mythfrontend, so I
> > figured that might give me a little speed edge.
>
> Adam,
> I had this problem for a while to, since I updated to SVN 8625 its
> disappeard though. Occasionally I will get it if my machine is doing other
> things (recording other shows, etc).

Yup, things are definitely better wrt HDTV in svn trunk.

However, for reference, folks are welcome to poke at a complete db dump of the
settings for my HDTV playback box under 0.18.1+svn fixes, maybe something the
OP has got differently configured is causing issues.

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/hdfe-settings.txt

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com