[mythtv-users] scratchy DVDs

Mark Oliver mark_oliver at java2000.com
Thu Jan 19 23:47:36 UTC 2006

Korey Fort wrote:

>If you've got the storage to rip a DVD. You could try DVD::rip. You probably
>could use dd if you had to, to copy all the information you could. Another
>suggestion would be to get one of those disk dr. things that spins a disk
>and puts on some sort of scratch coating,  I've never used one myself, but I
>guess it's worth a try.

I have a disk dr. and 2 dvd drives.  I have had better success by
placing the dvd in a different drive than I have had with using disk
dr.; however, if the scratches are fairly light, disk dr. should do the
trick.  You could also try searching this site:

http://www.videohelp.com/

They have had several discussions on the subject ranging from practical
solutions (brasso, armour all, oven cleaner, toothpaste) to more absurd
solutions (dipping cd/dvd in gasoline).

mark