[mythtv-users] Bitrate oddity

f-myth-users@media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Thu Jan 19 23:11:46 UTC 2006

    > Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:40:17 +0000
    > From: Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>

    > On 19/01/06, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:
    > > Still looking for suggestions on easy ways to either reencode what
    > > I've already got at slightly lower rates, or to cut it in ways that
    > > will not be too difficult..

    > For cutting that works, I always recommend ProjectX, a Java app.
    > However there is a lot of work going on to get exporting/transcoding
    > from within MythTV working without the associated audio sync problems
    > that can occur.

Yeah, I've been noticing that, but since I'm still running 18.1, was
mostly discounting it until .19 is released...

    > To simply reduce the size of an MPEG2 file, you can use tcrequant to
    > requantise the video stream without having to reencode the whole
    > thing. It's very useful if your recording is slightly too big to
    > author to DVD, as it takes only a few minutes to work its magic,
    > whereas reencoding could take a long time. tcrequant is part of the
    > transcode project/package.

Excellent!  Thanks; I'll check 'em both out.  I'd seen ProjectX's name
go by, but it seemed the subject of some controversy (mostly, I guess,
when it came to actual integration into Myth), and I couldn't quite
recall the tcrequant name.

(You have no idea how hard it was not to title this original thread
"4500:  A Bitrate Odyssey" :)