[mythtv-users] AC3 and/or S/PDIF (again)

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 20:17:53 UTC 2006

On 1/19/06, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/19/06, William Lewis <minutemaidpark at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >Everything is running into my AV Receiver, that's where my volume is
> > >controlled.  I uncheck the box for internal volume controls.  There
> > >was a post to the list a while back on how to send everything out over
> > >the spdif, and have your receiver decide if it's AC3 or PCM, the key
> > >was in the .asoundrc.  I can't find it off hand, but a bit of a search
> > >will probably turn it up, it was probably in the last 2 weeks.
> > >
> > >Chad
> >
> > I came across something while browsing through the developer's mailing
> > list...  Do you have "Enable video as timebase" checked or unchecked?

> Unchecked, although I hear it's probably a good idea to have it
> checked; but since my system is running problem free, I leave it as
> is.

Found the thread, here's the quote:
To answer myself my own question: yes, it is possible. The
following .asoundrc (have spent whole evening on figuring it out :-)
does exactly what I always wanted:
=========
pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave {
       pcm "spdif"
       rate 48000
       format S16_LE
   }
}
=========
BTW, the "format" line might not even be necessary. The key is the "rate
48000" (converts 32 and 44 kHz to SPDIF's 48 kHz) and pcm
"spdif" (routes sound via the digital out). With this and "ALSA:default"
set up everywhere (both TV and Music) everything plays correctly via the
digital out, including real digital AC3 5.1 passthrough sound from HD
channels. I am excited!