[mythtv-users] ProjectGrayhem-wide theme version 1.2

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Thu Jan 19 12:55:10 UTC 2006

>>Finally, AVIA claims that I have less than 5% overscan.  Even with
>>that little, the Watch Recording screen barely fits -- I can only see
>>half of the up/down arrows.
>

> This will require you to adjust the GUI size in 'appearance' setup.
> Either that or I'll need to rework all the theme to take into account
> 5% overscan, which in turn will waste space on screens that don't
> overscan.

I have the same problem. When I designed my theme I used the reference
pointed out to me by the mythtv users:

http://scanline.ca/overscan/

"Safe action and safe title areas

To help broadcasters know when something will be visible on a
television, SMPTE defined specific sizes of the action frame called the
safe action area and the safe title area. My reference is SMPTE
recommended practice RP 27.3-1989 on Specifications for Safe Action and
Safe Title Areas Test Pattern for Television Systems.

The safe action area is defined as the area in which "all significant
action must take place", and the safe title area is where "all the
important information must be confined to ensure visibility on the
majority of home television receivers."

The safe action area occupies the center 90% of the screen, giving a 5%
border all around. The safe title area occupies the center 80% of the
screen, giving a 10% border."

You should have a 5% border where there is nothing in that area to allow
for different tv overscans. The menus look great, but any screen with
boxes on them, as in the Watch Recordings screen, the left and right
edges of the boxes are just off the screen so the text is right at the edge.