[mythtv-users] ProjectGrayhem-wide theme version 1.2

Justin Hornsby justin.hornsby at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 08:43:38 UTC 2006

Screenshots!

Excellent.

A lot of those pictures depict things on my 'to-do' list.  There are
obviously some screens I've not got round to widening yet.

Another thing I noticed was that the font used in the menus was
actually Tahoma and the font used in the UI was Verdana (or the other
way around).  This will be straight in the next release because I'll
have switched it to the 'Vera' font (no easily discernable difference
btw).

As for the other issues like bits falling off the screen, or only half
the data being shown - I'm a little lost as to what could be causing
them.  Yes, I realise there are niggles, but if I'd seen major stuff
like the 'watch recordings' arrows being cut off I would've put them
right before rolling this thing out.

I'll now tackle each part of your critique...

> http://www.linux.com/howtos/Font-HOWTO/fonts.shtml
>
> On the Watch/Delete screens, the fonts at the top seem fine, but the
> show description font seems too small.  Also, the "box" for the show
> description does not allow the description to use all of the screen
> real estate, and actually cuts off some letters.

I think that the issues you're seeing where things are too small are
caused by me not paying attention to the 'small' font preference
during testing.

> On the "Upcomming" screen, the font for the show description seems
> fine (unlike on the Watch Recordings screen), but the show titles at
> the top seem a little too small:

I think this is related to the above issue.. not testing the 'small'
font preference.

> On the Watch Video screen, the upper left box which holds the names of
> the previous level folders seems to cutoff part of the names.  This is
> common to all themes, so there may not be anything you can do about
> it:

There's not much can be done about this without reworking the UI code,
but I've never thought of it as a show-stopping issue.

> Minor nit: On the show details page, the box could be wider to make
> better use of screen real estate.  Also, you may note that the top
> line of text occasionally spills outside the box:

Yep: I was already planning to do something about this.

> If the "cursor" is in the left column of the "Watch Recordings"
> screen, the graphics seem to be cutoff.  This screen shot also shows
> that there is still not quite enough room if the Short Date is set to
> "MM/DD DoW" format:

I don't know what's gone wrong there.  What GUI size are you using?  I
can provide a screenshot where it all fits perfectly.  As for the date
still being cut off... I have to make a decision... cut off long
program names or fit all the date info.  Both are displayed when a
recording is highlighted, so I think I'll make the date fit instead.
Bear in mind that long show names will be truncated because of this.

> The system information box could be wider to take advantage of screen
> real estate.  It also does not seem to allow information to actually
> fill it:

Yep - another thing on my 'to-do' list already.

> It also cuts off some of the information that normally shows at the
> top.  For example, this is what minimalist-wide looks like:

I'll cover that when I widen it.

> Finally, AVIA claims that I have less than 5% overscan.  Even with
> that little, the Watch Recording screen barely fits -- I can only see
> half of the up/down arrows.

This will require you to adjust the GUI size in 'appearance' setup.
Either that or I'll need to rework all the theme to take into account
5% overscan, which in turn will waste space on screens that don't
overscan.

> Thanks for all the hard work.  What little I have done with themes has
> taught me that they are very time consuming.
>
> John

I appreciate that.  Thanks for your _excellent_ report, John.

By the way.. this d/m DOW issue will definitely be nixed in the next
release, rest assured.

In fact, thanks to all the 'testers' out there who've taken the time
to point things out to me.. it's really helping.  Keep it up :-)

Regards,
Justin.