[mythtv-users] Miserable time installing Mythtv

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 04:32:10 UTC 2006

> What do you mean by "installed individually"?

I installed myth packages from Alex's repo individually, leaving out a
bunch of the plugins... So I pretty much only have MythTV and the
Weather plugin. A far cry from what I had using Knoppmyth...

> > or can I just install myth-suite and it'll make everything happy?
>
> Installing mythtv-suite won't work, since it doesn't explicitly require all
> the latest components, meaning having any 0.18.x version installed satisfies
> its deps. Probably best to specifically request each package to make sure you
> get the latest. If you happen to have i386 packages installed on x86_64 (rpm
> -q --qf='%{name}.%{arch}\n' \*myth\*), you may have to remove them first.
> Keep in mind that all your settings are in your db, so entirely removing
> everything and then reinstalling won't cost you anything (and you can install
> mythtv-suite, in that case).

$ rpm -q --qf='%{name}.%{arch}\n' \*myth\*
package *myth* is not installed

so, uh, I think I installed i686 versions. I was just hoping yum
install myth-suite would just pull in everything to get a 'complete'
mythtv package... Oh well. It'll probably stay just the way it is for
the rest of eternity, or until there's a compelling new version of
MythTV. Even though I consider myself a competent user, been using SCO
(*work related, snicker-boo-hiss if you will*) for years, and Linux
for years longer. The fact is, if I blow up our now working mythbox,
in any way shape or form, my girlfriend will have my head.

-Kenneth