[mythtv-users] New Install - Hang on entering live tv

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 03:42:34 UTC 2006

On 18/01/06, Bob <mythtv at junga.com> wrote:
> I have searched the archives and googled this topic to no avail.
>

> When I select "Watch Live TV" from the main menu…
>
> * the screen goes blank
>
> * sometimes I hear a brief time of audio then it stops
>
> * X consumes 98% of cpu
>
> * the keyboard / mouse is unresponsive
>
> * both backend and front end continue to run.
>
> * I can still ssh in and recover by doing "init 3", "init 5"

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Fedora?

Can you successfully record shows and then watch them back within
MythTV? If you can, I'd think that the LiveTV config was somehow
causing the problem. If you can't watch recordings, it's possibly the
video driver itself?

Does the LiveTV ringbuffer store location exist and have writeable
permissions? (You didnt't say whether recordings and ringbuffer are
stored in /video together or each have their own subfolder on /video)

Finally, be sure to check the mythfrontend and messages logfiles for
any error messages.

Good luck,
Nick