[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: receiver input buzzing/humming

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 02:22:40 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 18 January 2006 19:55, Meatwad wrote:
> f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
<snip>

> To further clatrify, we do not use two-phase power in the US for
> residential use. Only single and - rarely - three phase systems. It is

two phase is indeed used for washer/dryers/electric stoves in the US.
I've never seen 3 phase go to a house, but I can see how some large homes
might get 3 phase service and split it into 2 and 1 phase feeds.

> confusing but that the way it is. In a nutshell, sending two legs of
> power from the transformer on the pole, each 180 degrees out of phase
> with each other, into the home is still single-phase. Just two legs of
> it in a very efficient manner.

My electric power engineering degree doesn't like that paragraph, not so much
because its wrong, its really not, its just mathematically really ugly =)

2+2+2+2+2+2+2= 14 =2*7...

--
Steve