[mythtv-users] No sound -- does it matter?

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 16:42:28 UTC 2006

On 1/18/06, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
> jwg wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > A total newbie question. I'm unable to get my PC sound working. Do I
> > really care?
> >
> > I intend to set this box up as a headless MythTV box, i.e. no monitor,
> > keyboard or mouse,
> > running Fedora Core 4, with PVR 350, located with our entertainment
> > stack, and manage it
> > with a combination of the IR remote control and web interface. It will
> > drive the family TV through
> > the PVR 350 outputs.
> >
> > So do I really care that the PC sound doesn't work? Can't I just ignore
> > this and forge ahead?
> >

> On a headless backend with a PVR-350, it shouldn't matter.  Proceed :)
>
> Kevin

Well, kinda......

If you will *really* only be doing video/audio through the 350, it won't matter.

However, the 350 is only good for MPEG2 and framebuffer.  If you wish
to use MythMusic or (IIRC) MPEG4 stuff in MythVideo, those play audio
through the sound system.  In fact, to do those reasonably, you need
to loop the 350 audio out back into the soundcard in.

Also, without using the loopback/sound system, Myth cannot control the
volume of the (MPEG2) audio--you'd have to set your remote to control
the TV or amplifier level.

HTH

DS (still trying to get any sound out of his new prototype 350 system).