[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: receiver input buzzing/humming

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 13:35:12 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 18 January 2006 02:59, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>     > Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 23:20:40 -0600
>     > From: Meatwad <meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com>
>
> All excellent points!  Only one question:
>     > - If same circuit is not possible, try moving all HT equipment to
>     > circuits fed from the same side of the panel if you have 120Vac
>     > mains.
>
> Are you trying to say, "put everything on the same phase if you have
> two-phase service"?  If not, I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
> If so, then that isn't necessarily how to do it, since most residential
> two-phase panels actually have alternating phase going -down- the box,
> e.g., if you have two rows of breakers, the phases are most likely to be:
>
>         A       A
>         B       B
>         A       A
>         B       B
>
> ...etc all the way down; it's done this way so you can put in
> a two-phase breaker for things like electric stoves & dryers.
> (If you have any of these, they're instantly obvious because
> they're actually two breakers (typically 30A) tied together
> mechanically so that if one trips, both trip.)
>
> Anyway, let's hope the original poster writes back and says
> he's found the problem, whatever it was...

phasing shouldn't matter as long as the grounds are shared and proper sizing,
etc. Ground loops in proper working equipment are formed when the impedence
to ground for the two components are different. Connecting them together then
causes one of the components to enter into the ground return of the other
component. As well, in theory, properly working two prong components should
never cause ground loop problems... in theory...

--
Steve