[mythtv-users] Missing header files LIRC on FC4

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jan 18 13:04:08 UTC 2006

On Jan 18, 2006, at 5:49 AM, Luke wrote:

> On 18/01/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>
> On Jan 17, 2006, at 3:30 PM, Luke wrote:
>
>> I have a situation here, while trying to compile and install lirc
>> from source on FC4.
>>
>> I have downloaded the latest kernel source for FC4 and it's
>> installed at:
>>   /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel- 2.6.14/linux-2.6.14/
>> I made a symbolic link like so:
>> ln -s /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.14/linux-2.6.14  /usr/src/
>> linux
>> running the script ./configure for lirc is successful
>> the make command generate errors, the first of which is:
>> error: ../drivers/media/video/bttv.h: No such file or directory
>> Further errors below that are probably due to the missing bttv.h
>> and similar files.
>>
>> I know the so-called missing header files exist at /usr/src/redhat/
>> BUILD/kernel-2.6.14/linux-2.6.14/drivers/media/video/* . Where is
>> make looking for the header files. This looks straight forward
>> but, I am lost. Any ideas?
>
> Well "make" is certainly not looking *there*, that's for sure. On
> my old FC3 system bttv.h is located in /usr/src/linux/drivers/media/
> video/
>
> Where /usr/src/linux is a link to the proper kernel tree, as your's
> is.
>
> You could simply move the file to that place, but I'm betting that
> would just cause a different error a little later when it failed to
> find the next header that it wants.
>
> You could also make a link from the actual location of the
> "drivers" to the similar position in the actual kernel tree, might
> work but it's hackneyed.
>
> You could also look at the output of "configure" and see where it
> *thinks* the headers are located, and either point it to the
> correct place or link that place to the actual location.
>
> Of course, with recent kernel changes, the bttv.h file you have
> might not be usable or correct for the version of LIRC that you
> have :-)
>

> It appears this is a kernel 2.6.14. Since this is so new, there is
> no patch for it yet from lirc.org. Maybe I should wait for a patch.

The kernel version per se shouldn't be a problem. I was running
2.6.14 on a Gentoo system that worked just fine with what they were
calling lirc version 0.8.0_pre1 (before a HDD crash took the system
down that is).

Gentoo has a version " lirc-0.8.0_pre3" that is claimed to have
modifications for the 2.6.15 kernel, all I know about it is that it
does not appear to work with 2.6.14.

But your header location problems should not be directly related to
kernel version, more likely to a squirrely installation of kernel
sources, a problem I've had with FC systems in the past.