[mythtv-users] Unusual hard drive activity w/ livetv

Jason Richardson merkur2k at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 05:05:08 UTC 2006

Hello.
I have recently installed mythtv on a gentoo system (after being
unhappy with a knoppmyth setup) and have everything working great.
The problem is that whenever I watch live tv, the hard drive goes
nuts, and continues doing so until live tv is stopped. it plays/pauses
etc and works just fine, but the noise that the drive makes is quite
annoying.
Yes i know a ringbuffer is used, but I have configured myth to put
that on a different hard drive (one that isnt nearly as loud!) so I
dont understand why it is still hammering on that particular drive.
And yes i know which drive it is because i monitored the activity
lights for each drive seperately. The drive i put the ringbuffer on
does show activity, but not nearly so much as the other drive.
Any ideas what I should do to determine what file(s) it is accessing,
so that i can change the path to point to the other drive? or any
other ideas as to what it might be doing?
Thanks.