[mythtv-users] Looking for good specifications for mythTV

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 04:27:32 UTC 2006

Are you going to be doing HD?

If not, you can't go too cheap.  If you are only interested in SD
programming a good rule of thumb is probrably, "If you can buy it new, it's
overkill."

The only components you really need to put any thought into are the capture
card(s) and hard disks(s).  And the video card,kind of.  More storage is
better.

Regarding memory specifically, if it is really going to be a dedicated Myth
box, there is no reason to waste money buying 2GB of memory.  512MB would be
more than enough.

If you are going to use a television for your monitor, don't worry about a
monitor.

Otherwise, get an NVidia 5xxx video card.

To do simultaneous playback and recording, your processor should be at least
a 600Mhz PIII or equivalent.